Sunday, September 20, 2009

OS trip - alone

2009 2009 (Sun)


(Note: this post wld b a lenghty one wif min. fotos as the mood is not rite for photo-taking)

I experienced flying alone for the 1st time. This is nothing unusual. However, my purpose is not holidaying or business trip but for medical reason. Unusual enough? it must be. As Connecticut (CT) isn't any tourist attractions, I need 2 stops to get there. Ah Jizzz had warned me that United Airlines (UA) might not have personal TV. I need to plan for alternatives, prepared myself with my Creative MP3 & a iPod on board, books and sleep less on the 2nd last night and finally no sleep on the last night.


Mr Wee was kind enuf to pick me up to the airport at 4 plus in the morning. Thanks to him, Han & Ling tat I wasn't feeling tat sad at the airport but totally feel no excitement entering the Departure gate.


Something very important, DO NOT check out the time if u want it to pass faster. On my 2nd leg from HK to Chicago (14 hrs +), I only checked out the time twice and I reached! (Despite that the big screen does show remaining travelling time etc.) Didn't bother to check what time meals were provided, just eat and forget about it. Spent the remaining time on sleeping and watching the big screen (movies)...

The meals, movies, crew services aren't that bad but the seats posted a problem. Perhaps UA is an Amercia airlines, the seatings are more custom made to their build, height etc. I had aching neck... Of course, my knees weren't good but I survived through without using Futuro this time.The batteries from MP3 caught attention from SG or HK customs but it wasn't much of an issue. The challenging one was from Chicago customs. As my stay was expected to be a pretty long one, I was posted more questions...

1. What is the purpose of your stay?
2. Why did you stay 2 weeks last year and now 3 months (estimated)?
3. Are you working in SG?
4. How about your work since you intend to stay so long?
5. What's your occupation in SG?


To avoid trouble, I didn't reveal the actual reason for this trip. After a series of questions, I thought I had 'passed' through their questioning but the Custom Officer says: ''Please wait over there (pointed a direction), an officer will come bring you...''


Shortly, I was brought into a room with estimated 30 people seated and waiting. I sat down on an empty space on one of the benches. A China-looking man was in front of all of us, his luggage contents were all taken out and thoroughly checked (including the luggage itself for any secret compartment) by a male officer. Concurrently, a female officer was checking on his fingers prints, documents etc. As I was seated on one of the front benches, I managed to steal some glances on his belongings. He had a 4R photo album with photos of a couple, probably his gf and him... After a while, he was allow to pack his stuffs back into his luggage.


While watching, I was thinking if everyone present had to go through similar examination, I would have missed my next flight as it was only an 2 hours interval. Next on my mind was the amount of things I brought (2 luggs, not too little rite) and some food stuffs which I 'declared' none previously...


Next, I heard an officer calling out various names with his hand holding several passports too. Then I realised, these people are able to go off after collecting their passports. I see some 'light' immediately. Luckily, I was one of the fortunate. I was the 2nd batch of people with names being called out. ;)


I went on to collect my baggages. (I've no problems dragging brownie down this time as the belt has stopped due to the delay from the additional Customs check.)

See how taller Wen has grown after 15 months as compared to previous posting under Stinko brownie in Jul 08.


I need to re-check in these baggages to another place, follow by transferring between airport terminals and 'human' checking in again. Finally, when all are cleared, I'm left with about 45 mins before boarding time. Bought a bottle of Coke and was reminded of the currency variance between USA & SG. That bottle is priced @ $2+...


3rd leg from Chicago to Hartford, CT was a short flight of about 2 hours. During the last 2 flights, I was listening to their radio station. Channel 7 seems more to my liking with songs from late 80s to early 90s but am surprised to hear some recent songs that i fancy like Leona Lewis' Bleeding Love & Jason Mraz's I'm Yours. I'm Yours came out at least 5 times when I'm not watching movies and sleeping. ;p


With the headsets on and eyes closed, I heard Jay Chou's song being played, like from some mobile. I was amazed and opened up my eyes, I'm the only Asian and Chinese passenger on board this plane thus I don't think any 'ang mo' would know Jay and would play his song. I remembered switching off my mobile after boarding, anyway I still took out mine to check. Oh, it was indeed mine! It was my working alarm clock that I had set using Jay's ringtone. It is 6 plus in the morning on 21 Sep (Mon) in SG timezone and it marked the ending of the 25 hours flight from SG to CT. Phew!!


See my unnoticable Jay Chou's corner from office desk. ;p

2 comments:

luke said...

oh Dear .. u had a hard time in travelling to US .. super strict in States airport. should be biasing Asian ... Boo (thumb down)

JoL said...

I'm glad it went thru without much difficulties.. It was becos of the long stay tat made things harder...